Free Applique BOM

Sycamore Rose

Sycamore Rose Block of the Month

I’m so excited, I can hardly wait for the New Year to begin!  On the first of every month, beginning in January 2014, I’ll post a new applique pattern for the Sycamore Rose quilt, a 90-in quilt with applique patterns suitable for those new to applique.  Lots of techniques and plenty of hints and tips will be shared to make this a fun and easy journey.  Don’t let a fear of the A-word hold you back.  Just sit back and enjoy a little hand work.  It’s therapeutic, I promise!

Basic fabric requirements:

Background – 4 yds (generous to allow for cutting errors)

Pink Fabric – 2.75 yds (generous to allow for cutting errors)

Brown Fabric – 3.5 yds (generous to allow for cutting errors)

Applique – Scraps from your stash.  Fat quarters are recommended, especially for leaves and stems.

1. Diane says:

Sorry, laptop went crazy on my earlier comments. I still can not find the templates for Block 1. This will be a gorgeous BOM. Thank you for your help

1. Judy says:

I also am unable to find the templates, looks like it will be very pretty if we can figure out how to retrieve the templates.

2. judy says:

I love flowers and I love applique. This is for me. Thank You.

1. cburdy says:

Thank you so much. I hope you enjoy it!

3. Jocelyne says:

I love applique – Thank you

4. irene k says:

thank you for sharing.

1. cburdy says:

I’m so glad you found it!

5. Lorie says:

I have dedicated this year to applique, this is a good start. Thanks loads, I,m always looking for new applique sites.

1. cburdy says:

Thank you! Applique is also a top priority for me this year. Does life get any sweeter?

6. Peggy says:

Thanks so much my mom and I can’t wait to try this lovely quilt we both love to hand applique

1. cburdy says:

Thank you! Once I found hand applique there was no turning back. So meditative and wonderful! I have five daughters and if any one of them wanted to do this with me I would be over the hill happy! You are so blessed to have a mom who wants to sew with you!!

7. MarleneC says:

how does one become a member of this blog to continue with the Sycamore Rose?

1. cburdy says:

You don’t need to be a member to continue. New blocks will come out on the first of every month. If you choose to “follow” the blog by clicking the link in the upper left hand corner, you will receive email updates when a new post is listed.

8. Frances says:

Thanks so much for the lovely pattern. Are there any instructions on how to do this? Am new to quilting and haven’t done applique before. Thanks again Hope to get the rest of the blocks each month.

1. cburdy says:

There are lots of instructions on the web, especially on YouTube. Simple Bird Studio has a wonderful 7 part video tutorial on You Tube. Here is the link to the first video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XLfkmRJRps. I used this method of applique for this quilt. There are also many other methods to choose from – needleturn, back basting, fusible, quick turn, machine applique, etc. If you search for applique videos there, you will find many great tutorials and be able to find the method that works best for you. Once I tried applique, I never looked back. It is absolutely wonderful!! Have fun with it!

1. Lorie says:

Thank you for the information. I think its important to use the right:-)tools and get all the little extra
        Hints in applique, keep them coming. I hope this site stays busy.
        I can use all the help I can get:-).
        Lorie

9. Linda Lovely says:

I don’t see a link in the upper left hand corner to click to follow along….

1. cburdy says:

I’m sorry. I think that’s where it was when I was signed in to wordpress. When I signed out it was a tiny little box way down in the lower right corner. Hopefully, that’s where it will be for you. I’m sorry it’s not readily visible. I hope you will be able to find it.

10. Leeanne says:

I am so happy to have found your site, I am addicted to applique and English paper piecing, has contributed both to my sanity and I find it very calming, and best yet — it is very portable. I can’t wait to start on this will keep you posted.

1. cburdy says:

Thank you so much! It is wonderful that it’s so calming and portable. I’ve stitched many blocks at the dentist’s office waiting for my children and it made the long wait so much more bearable. I’ve only done a little EPP, but enjoyed that as well.

11. Linnie says:

Is block one out yet or is it just the picture and fabric requirements. I to am new to applique and look forward to all the hints.

1. cburdy says:

Block one is already out. If you click on the “Sycamore Rose – Block 1” post you can download it from there. It is bright pink lettering which stands out from the rest. Click on that and the PDF file should open on your computer. Then save it to your hard drive and get stitching. Block two will be out on Feb. 1. Have fun!!

12. Jo Ann says:

Thank you for the pattern. i was recently diagnosis with breast cancer and plan on doing this quilt this year as I take treatment. I think there will be lots of doctors visit. i am going to use some of the breast cancer awareness fabric, sweet jane by northcutt. Jo Ann

1. cburdy says:

I am honored that you would choose to work on this quilt at such a difficult time. My prayers are with you for a full recovery. Please keep me posted on how you’re doing.

13. Jo Ann says:

I received my fabric last week and have finished the first block Love working on this quilt. Will you post a block a month or will this be a year long? I am excited to get the next block so I can start.
    At my last doctor visit will not need chemotherapy but will need more surgery. All is good . Again thank you for giving this quilt to work on Jo Ann

1. cburdy says:

Jo Ann, That’s such good news that you won’t need chemotherapy. I’m sorry that you need more surgery, but am praying that it will do what is required so you can be cancer free.

This BOM will last all year. The second block comes out on Friday. I’d love to see a picture of your first block. Maybe I should start a Facebook group for those working on the quilt; or maybe a Yahoo group? I’m not sure. But I would sure love to see it!

14. Lorie says:

Im ready for the next one, bring it on.

1. cburdy says:

That’s fantastic! I would love to see what you’ve done so far. The second block will be up on Saturday.

15. This quilt is lovely and I’m adding it to my list!
    A flicker page would be great or another blog, would Love to join.
    I may just have to do block one and two over the next few days and catch up. Thankyou for sharing a lovely design
    Kel x

16. J Lynn says:

I have looking for several years for an appliqué quilt to make. This is it. It is beautiful. I’m looking forward to sewing it. Thank you so much for offering it. It is so lovely. J Lynn

17. Private Poster says:

I just discovered your site and your Sycamore Rose pattern. That is your first pattern?!?! It is better organized and better put together than any I have ever seen. I’m a fairly new quilter and have also just discovered needleturn, and I am HOOKED. Love your pattern and printing it out now! Thank you for all of your efforts!
    I think we are near-neighbors – I read in one of your posts that you are approx three hours north of San Diego, which I am also. ; )