It’s never too late

I’ve come to believe that it’s never too late to start again.  Life is all about getting back up and trying again.  Thank heavens for that.  I heard  someone say today, “life is not standing on a mountain of successes, but rather a successful life is built upon a mountain of failures”.  Now you know what works and what doesn’t work and (hopefully) why.  In light of such, I’ve decided to try again.

When I first drafted Sycamore Rose my intent was to stitch along with each pattern presented.  But I soon found life and time running away from me and I ended up never getting it stitched.  This is a no-no as a designer.  Finished products are the best advertisement after all.  With that in mind, I’ve decided to dig out the pattern, update it, remove it from the shop, and offer it again as a free BOM.  Why?  Because for the hundredth time I’ve started it again and I’ve realized that I stitch best with a hard deadline.  I’ve been gifted many things over the last few years, and one of them is an appreciation for time.

But I’ve also come to value the real cost of quilting.  I’m no longer in the “Build my stash” stage as we are always moving and I hate to lug around tubs and tubs of fabric with every move.  So I’ve downsized my stash to the essentials and I’m happy.  When I buy fabric now, it’s with real intent to create a specific something, whatever that may be.  It’s labeled and stored so it can (hopefully) be easy to find.  I have most of my projects labeled with the material for that project gathered together in a bin.  I like it this way.  Though I have far to many WIP’s and UFO’s to be comfortable.

Still, this is where a little fun helps clear the shelves and make room for another project.  I think for a while I was addicted to starting things and never really cared or minded if I ever finished.  But now?  I guess I’ve had one too many birthdays and feel like I need to concentrate on finishing all the things I’ve started.  And first on my list is Sycamore Rose.

Now, to be fair, I’ve already got the first two blocks in progress, as seen here:

Block 1
Block 2

Please excuse the poor lighting.

I’ve decided to use Moda Color Cuts in Daybreak, Sprouts & Lemon Drop.  They are heavenly.  I love just looking at them, so it’s a real treat to stitch with them (and to have had an excuse to buy them!).  I purchased Daybreak & Sprouts at Stitched with Love quilt shop in McKinney, Texas while on a trip there.  That place is heavenly.  I absolutely adored this quilt shop.  Packed with fabric and gobs of fat quarters (Yes, I did indulge but bought only those I can use on this quilt) and really helpful women who work there.  I can’t wait to go back!  The Lemon Drop precuts I purchased online from Fat Quarter Shop, another shop I highly recommend.  And the background (a lovely trellis design I forgot to see who made it) I bought from Happiness is Quilting,  another great McKinney quilt store.

Please feel free to download, but if you’re going to share with friends & family, refer them back to cburdy.com to download their own copy.  Thank you!!

1_SR_colorSyc_Rose_Block1_Pattern

2_SR_ColorSyc_Rose_Block2_Pattern

1. Stacey Oleksik says:

I admire your talent! I can’t to see as you finish this project!

1. cburdy says:

Thank you! Stitch along and you may find a new love for applique!

2. Pam James King says:

So happy to see you up and stitiching again. Love your patterns. Your choice of fabric is fab, Just noticed that the leaves on the lower left are angled toward center rather than away!!!! Looking forward to your blogs and patterns

1. cburdy says:

Thank you! You wouldn’t believe the angst-ing on committing to a final direction for the leaves. lol. Even still, I’m unsure it should stay that way, though I love it personally.

3. mary e. hulick says:

Oh these are so lovey and i really like doing applique something i would love to make
    Mary e hulick

1. cburdy says:

Then join in the fun, Mary. The more the merrier!!

4. Sherri D says:

I was JUST TODAY taking a peek to see if any 2019 appliquéd BOM’s were coming up yet. I know yours isn’t exactly a BOM but that doesn’t matter. I think I already have this pattern printed out somewhere in my studio too. Now I will have to give this a look-see again and maybe I too, will pick it back up and do it!
    Good to see you back on the blog again. Thanks for sharing your pattern!

1. cburdy says:

I hope you will stitch along with me! Everything’s better when you’re not alone.

5. Elinor says:

So good to hear that your back on the groove again. Where are your other pattern? Where to buy them? Pattern.com doesn’t exist anymore?

1. cburdy says:

They have all been taken down until I can sew up appropriate samples. I’ve been avoiding it for years, so it’s about time I take the bull by the horns. When they do go back up for sale, it will be here on this site. Thank you so much for the kind words.

6. Pepa says:

Muchas gracias por tus diseños gratuitos, yo también recuerdo haber guardado anterior mente esto. Me encantaría hacerlos.
    Vas a poner todos los bloques Si es así lo haría encantada
    Muchas gracias y Saludos desde Valencia, España 🇪🇸

1. cburdy says:

Sí, todos ellos. ¡Por favor únete a mi!

7. martina says:

So true! Thank you so much for letting us join you with the free pattern. I always loved it but never started. This might be just the right time for it!

1. cburdy says:

I hope you can find the time to join in. The more the merrier!!

8. Vera Clifford says:

So nice to hear from you again! I’ve wondered about you and enjoyed stitching along with you on the Baltimore Album (not the real name, it evades me) but I stitched it start to finish and sent you a picture, lol!!! Thank you for the pattern and looking forward to getting back in the groove myself.

1. cburdy says:

It’s so good to hear from you, Vera! We can get our groove on together!!

9. Vera Clifford says:

Lancaster County!! was the name of the quilt, I have had many compliments on that quilt,

1. cburdy says:

I remember your version. Beautiful!!

1. Sherri Dodds says:

OMG!!! What a brainfart I have had!!! Lancaster County is YOURs!!! I am just now working on the borders of mine. I am putting a vine and flower border around, instead of the words. Now I will have to push to do Sycamore…I know I should. lol I will share my Lancaster quilt when it is done. I call it my Folk Art Quilt. 🙂

2. cburdy says:

That’s wonderful!! I would love to see it!!

10. Edith Gorzo says:

Lovely patterns. Thank you for sharing your talent.

Thank you so much!

2. cburdy says:

Thank you!!

11. Donna Morton says:

Thanks so much! Maybe I too will get around to keeping up with this beautiful project this time!

12. dezertsuz says:

And this fits right in with some other plans I have, though I didn’t plan to add another project. I have to see what I have and how much time is available in my 2019 Year of Appliqué! Thank you so much for the free blocks and BOM. I will post this on QuiltBOM.wordpress.com. Thank you also for your philosophy at the start of this post. Good things to ponder in life.

Thank you!

13. Edi says:

Thank you so much for sharing your gift of design with us, especially at no cost. This is gorgeous and though I’m in a very similar boat to your’s (too many birthdays, too many UFOs, WIPs) I will attempt to tackle this beauty.

1. cburdy says:

I’m so glad! (Not that you have too many WIP’s, but that you’re going to tackle this quilt with me! lol)

14. CHERYL C says:

Dare I . . . ? Love hand work – and currently only committed to one other BOM – (will not mention the languishing WIP!). Love the patterns – I went back and looked for a general “overview” of this project (I’m new to your site), finding postings of it’s origins several years back, but not specifics per se – Am I looking in the wrong place or did I not dig deep enough? Curious how big the finished quilt will be.

1. cburdy says:

Sorry, I forgot the most basic measurements. The quilt finishes at 90 x 90-in. Each block is 14-in (there are 16 blocks), and the sashing is 2-in. The fabric requirements are here: https://cburdy.com/2013/12/26/free-applique-bom/ I hope you’ll give it a go!

15. Pat says:

Thank you for sharing this beautiful pattern with us! I, too, have many UFOs but have been itching to start a new applique project. I’ve been recovering from two spinal surgeries and handwork is so much easier than sitting at my machine. I find applique very therapeutic and I could use that right now! (I’ve been doing a lot of EPP.)

1. cburdy says:

I hope you do start it. Hand sewing, like you said, is so therapeutic. It’s good for the soul which is in turn good for the body, too. Although I can’t guarantee it will make you heal any faster, it will make you feel better, right?